Monday, August 27, 2012

Pre-Session Prep | Choosing a Session Location

I'm a natural light photographer.

That basically means that when I roll up to your session, you probably won't see me with lots of off-camera lights or stands or other stuff to lug around. Personally, I like using the available light on location and, using some light modifiers, I make the most out of what Mother Nature is providing us with. Part of it is that my experience with off-camera lighting is still limited, which is a skill set that I'm trying to build into my repitiore. So, don't be surprised if I pull out a light or two and we experiment during your session.

The "look" of natural light is something that I'm aesthetically drawn to, and if you like my work, that probably means that you like that "look," too! Plus, I enjoy shooting on-location and it's not always easy to set up a bunch of equipment outside.

Anyway, my point is that choosing your session location is probably more important that choosing the outfits you want to bring to our shoot. When you and I work together to put together a session, I want it to be a unique experience for both of us. It should "fit" you, provide great light, and give me a variety of angles and locations for us to move around in.

Earlier this month, I had a few senior shoots scheduled back in Wyoming, so I wanted to give you a little look into my thought process behind choosing locations and show you some end-product shots from those amazing places.

WARNING: You are about to enter a photographer's stream of conciousness. The ride could be bumpy...

Sami's Session
Location: Omaha, NE

During our text/email/phone conversations, Sami made it clear that she wanted to take part of her session out to her family's farm where her family keeps their herd of shorthorn cows and show cattle.

I love when clients suggest locations that have special meaning to them; it's a great way to personalize the session.

She also mentioned going downtown in Omaha and finding some grungier locations, perhaps some old brick walls. I was totally game for it, but not knowing Omaha very well, I gave my BFF Meg (a lifelong Omaha resident) a jingle and during our brainstorming session she mentioned the Durham Museum where she worked as a day camp counselor a few summers back. Since I wasn't going to make a six hour drive just to check out a location, I planned to leave early to give me time to check out the Museum and surrounding downtown before our session.

Anyway, I did a little happy dance in the parking lot when I saw what a groovy Art-Deco facade the building had; and the inside didn't disappoint. Plus, just a short walk north and south from it were some great back alleys. At this point I was pretty jazzed because I knew that we would have a good variety of different locations to make photos in, meaning that she would have several different "looks" to choose from. Sadly for you, I wasn't planning this post very well, and I didn't keep any of my scouting or test shots from the Museum.

Buuuuttt...

Here was one of the test shots from our session after we moved from the Museum out to one of the alleys that I scouted before the session. Because I was adjusting some camera settings, I told Sami just do hang out. A teenage girl on the phone, imagine that! :)


That was one of my test shots - completely unedited. Finding great locations is about finding pretty light, cool textures and a unique backdrop for a one-of-a-kind senior. Here are two of the end-product images from that location...


My approach to each location is to make a diverse collection of shots, from close ups to wide angles.



Ty's Session
Location: Wheatland, WY

Sami's session was about the halfway point between my home in the hills of southwest Missouri and my destination of southeastern Wyoming, which is where I met Ty for his session. Between Ty, his dear mother and I, we really didn't have a set game plan for our session. Being familiar with the Wheatland area and knowing Ty's family had some cropland and cattle, I knew we would find some great agriculture-type places. Rattling down the dirt road to his house, I happened to pass an abandoned sugar beet processing plant.

What a great location! 

So, I was over the moon when his parents suggested the old plant as a potential location, once I arrived at their house. The worn, industrial feel to the building was super, as was the light let in by the large doors and high windows. Honestly, I could have shot an entire session here, but Ty had a few other locations in mind that turned out to be fabulous, too. 



The greatest part about the location was all the textures in the building and the pops of color throughout the place, like the yellow beams. Such a fantastic place - hope I can shoot there again someday!


Lindsay's Session
Location: Douglas, WY

As a budding photog herself, Lindsay and I were in constant contact regarding her session and she brought some stellar locations to the table. In fact, she had so many fab ideas, that we almost spent too much time bouncing from place to place. Really, three different solid locations makes for a full shoot. We started at a local junk yard which was exciting for me because I have been dying to shoot in a junk yard. Here's the Instagram photo I took while doing a quick scout of the location. (Hey, make sure to follow me on IG, search for bigstarimages!)


Beginning the session at the junkyard meant that we had to battle the sun a little bit, since it was earlier in the afternoon, but we still got some great shots. Shooting right out in the sun can make for some unflattering shadows, so I'm always looking for places with open shade, out of the harsh, direct sunlight.


From there, we moved towards town and into the Wyoming State Fairgrounds, which brought back a lot of great memories of showing cattle and sheep there as a 4H & FFA member. Remember how I said Lindsay was on top of her game? Yea, she even brought a prop chair!


By this time, we were just getting into the golden hour where the light can be so pretty. When we first met, Lindsay and I went through all the clothes she brought and immediately I knew this pretty turquoise top would look great by the river at the fairgrounds. Choosing locations is just as much about making the right outfit choices to either compliment or contrast the setting. I think this was spot on!


Choosing cool, unique settings can really help shape the senior picture experience. They can help refine your clothing choices, set the mood for the session and be super inspiring for the photog.

Happy Monday, folks!

KB


No comments:

Post a Comment